The main causes of home fires in the USA.
In one part of the USA, a fire occured at a 16,000 square foot mansion which sadly took the lives of 6 people which involved the two grandparents and their four grandchildren. It was a devastating tragedy. The investigation report concluded the cause of the fire was a 16-foot tall Christmas tree that the grandparents left lit most of the time in the living room. A failure in the electrical circuitry created the blaze in the two-month-old natural tree. This fueled the fire to move swiftly through the house.
Because there was no internal sprinkler system inside the home and also because there were no fire hydrants local to the house, made it difficult for firefighters to put out the blaze quickly.
This is only one example however shows that cold weather and poor weather conditions means residents will spend more time in their home thus increasing the chances and risks of a potential fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there are more than 360,000 home fires every year and this results in about $6 to $8 billion dollars in damages annually.
There are many causes for these fires. They range from food burning and catching fire on stoves left unattended, candles left burning, faulty wiring, appliance malfunctions, cigarettes and cigars and overloaded circuits. One thing to note is the moment a fire does start in a home to the point where the home is engulfed in flames is often less than two minutes. This is why it is so important for the residents to evacuate the house as soon as smoke is detected.
Many of these fires are preventable if the home owners just thought out the potential risks and utilized measures to mitigate these risks.
The causes of these fires range from food left unattended on the stove to candles left burning. From the moment a fire starts to the point where the structure is fully engulfed is usually less than two minutes, which is why it is so important for occupants to get out of the home as quickly as possible and not try to put out a large fire themselves.